Sunday, January 8, 2012

In the Beginning.... There was Tuna Noodle Casserole

I'm not sure I would have remembered where my adventures in the kitchen began- and certainly not the specifics of their humble beginnings if it hadn't been for my 40th Reunion of the University of Oklahoma College of Nursing graduates.  We were all sitting around the bar- isn't that what one does at a 40th College reunion- sipping on a glass of wine.  




Suddenly Ada- one of my roommates asked, "Do you still make that tuna noodle casserole?  It was always my favorite."  Well now I hadn't thought about "my" tuna noodle casserole in years- a lot of years- but of course I remembered making it- I just didn't remember that it was "my" tuna noodle casserole, or that I started making that classic while still in college.  Now I feel certain that every woman- of a certain age- has at one time or another made a tuna noodle casserole.  But see, my fame is that for me the tuna noodle casserole was my "first".  There just is no denying the "first"!  Now Ada went on to explain that "My Tuna Noodle Casserole" went on living in their lives even when I didn't.  After I'd moved out, they took over and continued making my specialty- it even eventually became the "dinner of choice" when the med students from across the hall came for the weekly dinner!  


And then a couple of weeks ago I was looking through some old recipe cards I'd had since my mother's death- her recipe cards- when what did I stumble upon.  You got it!  I found the card written in my hand writing- that mother was keeping- that traced the origin of "My Tuna Noodle Casserole".  At the top of the recipe I'd written "Annie Mae"- to me she was always Aunt Annie- or as Don heard it as rather "Ananny" 




For a number of years- A LONG NUMBER OF YEARS- women in America were in love with processed food- food to save you time- All American food.  Food that most often came from a can -or package. And we loved those recipes on the back.  And of course we only baked with Crisco.  Why we didn't dare even let butter into our homes! Margarine all the way!  I still have my recipe books from Kraft Cheese and Crisco- but somehow I have lost my Campbell's Soup one.  Too bad.   But you can go here and see the Classic Campbell Tuna Noodle Casserole recipe.  




Now I haven't done much in the way of modification to the original.  I did roast some red peppers.   I needed some for the side salad and decided to throw some into the casserole for "color" and because some folks actually added pimentos to the casserole. Besides in the middle of an Ohio winter I look for any excuse to turn on the oven and warm the kitchen up a bit. 




I also added a bit more olive oil- back in the good ole days tuna was packed in oil (not olive- just some cheap stuff I'm sure)- but now it comes packed in water and I thought it would need just a bit more... 


So you mix everything together and put it in the oven and wait for the magic to happen...




Recipe for TUNA NOODLE CASSEROLE


1 large onion
2-4 cloves of garlic (optional)
4 Tbsp of olive oil
1 red pepper (optional)
pepper, as desired


1 can of Campbell's Mushroom Soup
1/2 can of milk


2 7-oz cans of tuna, drained
OR
14oz of mushrooms, sauteed in butter (for the vegetarians among us!)


2 cups of cooked noodles
1 cup of frozen peas


1-2 cup of grated cheddar cheese (I substituted 1/2 gruyere cheese because I had it on hand)


1 cup of dried bread crumbs- add pepper
2 tbsp of butter
1/2 cup of grated  Parmesan cheese 


Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.  Slice the pepper into strips and then toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.  Place on foil lined cookie sheet. I used my cast iron skillet.  Roast for 20 minutes turning once or twice.


Heat  olive oil in a large skillet and saute the onion and garlic until softened.  If you'd rather you can also saute the red pepper instead of roasting it ahead of time.


Cook the noodles according to the package directions- but don't over cook because they're going to cook in the casserole as well.


Drain the tuna.


In a large bowl combine the soup and the milk.  Add the cheddar cheese.  Add the onion, garlic and pepper mixture.  Add the tuna. Add the frozen peas.  Finally add the noodles.  Pepper as desired.  Don't add salt- there is plenty in the soup! Pour the mixture into a casserole dish.


Melt the butter (you can do this in the microwave, carefully- or on top of the stove) and add the butter to the bread crumbs and then add the Parmesan cheese to the bread crumbs.  Cover the top of the casserole with the bread and Parmesan mixture.


Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.  You may need to cover the top with the casserole lid or aluminum foil if the top gets too brown.


ENJOY!















3 comments:

  1. i would have never thought you would have a tuna noodle casserole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never made a tuna noodle casserole. But I might just do it now! At least Pat and I would like it....as for everyone else, they can make their own dinner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds perfect for a snowy night. I'll try it tonight. Mr. Mike came with a tuna noodle casserole recipe that used canned chow mein noodles. He made it. I thought it was cute that he could cook. Married 37 years--never made it again. -- Nancye

    ReplyDelete